TEXAS Professional Home Inspection Education (394 hours)
Welcome to RETS – Real Estate Training Systems, a Texas Based home inspection training school. RETS offers qualifying home inspection courses taught by professional home inspectors with many years of home inspection experience.
Anyone thinking of entering the field of Home Inspection is about to embark upon one of the most exciting and rewarding careers available. Choosing the RETS Program will be the smartest decision you will make.
The RETS 394 hour program uses a combination of Online, Home Study, Classroom and Field training which includes inspections of houses in the DFW area.
Our Home Inspection Training Program is easy to learn and has been designed around providing the most up to date information for the prospective home inspector. As part of the 394 hour course, the correspondence program is self-paced so you can study within the comfort of your home.
Along with the correspondence program is the 64 hour/8-day classroom and field training program. The 8-day home inspection classroom and field training program combine easy to understand educational materials, hands on laboratory models, classroom instruction presentations, and field inspection experiences where you can apply what you have learned in the classroom and correspondence course.
Course Syllabus: 8 Day – 64 hour Classroom and Actual In-Field Property Inspection Training
- Hands-on field inspections and report writing exercise.
- One Field Inspections per Day
- 6 Practical Property Inspection Experiences = 40 hours of field training
Introduction to home inspections
- The scope of a residential home inspection, with inclusions, limitations, and exclusions.
- The history of the home inspection profession.
- The home inspector’s role in a real estate transaction.
- Basic tools for a home inspection.
- General Home inspection versus a Technically Exhaustive inspection
- Overview of starting a home inspection business.
- Telephone techniques to be able to “book” the inspection.
- Presentation of the inspections and report delivery.
- Insurance options and availability.
- Payment and pricing recommendations.
- Who will buy or refer inspections to you.
- Hidden business you should know about.
Structure – Basic Components
- Foundations – (Slab / Pier & Beam / Basement)
- Fireplaces and Chimney’s
- Exterior walls, flashing, and trim.
- Eaves, soffitt, and fascia.
- Doors and windows.
- Problem identification.
- Decks, balconies, steps, porches, and railings.
- Driveways, walkways, and landscaping
- Retaining walls.
- Walls, ceilings, and floors.
- Cabinets and counters.
- Dwelling unit/garage separation.
Problem identification: (You will view hundreds of examples of defects). The real art of the structural inspection.
Roofing and Roof Structure
- Asphalt shingles (composition) roofs.
- Wood shingle and shake roofs.
- Tile roofs, including clay and concrete.
- Low Slope/Flat roofs, including built-up tar and gravel roofs and single ply membrane roofs.
- Other roofing systems, including metal and slate.
- Roof drainage systems.
- Flashings, skylights, chimneys and roof penetrations.
- Detection of water penetration and condensation.
- Service entrance wires and Electrical equipment.
- Main disconnect.
- Grounding Systems.
- Distribution panelboards.
- Distribution wiring systems and methods.
- Fuses and breakers.
- Light switches and outlets.
- Ground Fault and Arc Fault circuit interrupters.
- Practical examination: Hands-on inspection of electrical panels and components.
- Gas Furnaces.
- Electric Heating.
- Heat Pump Systems
- Combustion air supply Requirements.
- Normal operating controls.
- Safety controls.
- Distribution (Duct) systems.
- Insulation, ventilation and vapor retarders.
- Practical examination: Hands-on inspection of heating systems. Experience the actual process of inspecting; blowers, heat strips, flues, heat exchangers and more…
- Principles of refrigeration and cooling.
- Evaporator coils and Condensers.
- Normal operating controls.
- Distribution systems.
- Hands-on demonstration.
- Supply piping system.
- Drain, waste and vent system.
- Fixtures and faucets.
- Functional flow and functional drainage.
- Leaks and corrosion.
- Water heater equipment (Gas / Electric / Tankless)
- Practical demonstration: Hands-on inspection
- Range Exhaust Systems
- Ranges, Cooktop and Ovens
- Garage Door Operators
- Bathroom exhaust and heat systems
Problem identification (You will view hundreds of examples of defects).
- Texas Standard Report Forms
- Concise and accurate reporting of your findings
- Report Writing – “Do’s & Don’t”
- Report writing options and terminology.
- Advantages of different reporting formats.
- Sample reports will be provided and reviewed.
- Report Generation – “When, Where & How”
- Digital Photography
- Words to Use and Not to Use
- Exercise: Creating a report that meets standards
Course Location: none at this time
Date: none at this time
Time: none at this time